Sunday, May 19, 2013

Began today with yoga

It's a nice way to start the day, and I'm hoping that over the summer I remember to start every day this way. I feel pretty good these days. The weather, sun, air are all in agreement that Spring has finally arrived and are working in tandem to deliver Massachusetts from the grips of a dreary Winter.

Editor's note: I like capitalizing the names of seasons. I feel like we should because in a way they are proper nouns, and distinct names. I dunno. I'm being a bit of a silly English nerd, so it's all good.

Winter wasn't bad, it was dark. I want to call it bleak but that's me being hyperbolic. It was dark and cold and snowy. But it was also lovely, and warm and family-oriented. I love those times. Christmas was a brilliant time. However, that's the rub isn't it? Christmas is Dec 25th, and winter won't end until March. So after the lovely candlelit brilliance of Christmastime we are left to dwell and carve out a life in the small dark months with no promise of anything glittering and special to relieve us. I would recommend celebrating the birth of Christ slightly later in the season, but I would be burnt as a witch. Also, he was probably born in March. Has anyone other than me ever done the math on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception to the Birth? She was either pregnant for more than a calendar year, or he was CRAZY Premature! eh, s'all good. It's a metaphor and a beautiful metaphor at that.

Anyway, enough heresy for the day. My mother is a wonderful catholic and just because I can't wrap my head around the logistics of it doesn't mean I get to criticize it. I like it, but I like it on a metaphorical level.

No comments:

Post a Comment